Crafting with…Courtney! Episode 27: Silent Night
Hello everyone, and welcome to the twenty seventh episode of “Crafting with…Courtney!” I’m here to make crafting fun, easy, and good for you!
Getting a good night’s sleep in Stormreach can sometimes be difficult. The bed might be too hard, the inn might be too drafty, or the wailing cries of the undead outside your window might disrupt your peaceful slumber! That’s why today’s column aims to ensure a good night’s undead-free sleep!
Today’s item is called Silent Night, and is a +4 Holy Silver Greatsword of Undead Bane, with a lowered minimum level! This excellent undead-killer has a minimum level of 13, and does take Shards of Potential and a Mark of House Cannith to achieve.
To make Silent Night, you’ll need:
- A craftable Silver Greatsword
- A Holy Shard
- A Shard of Undead Bane
- A Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship (optional, without it this item has a minimum level of 15.)
- A +4 Enhancement Bonus Shard
- +6, +7, and +8 Shards of Potential
To make a +4 Enhancement Bonus Shard you will need:
- The ability to make a level 45 Arcane shard.
- 10 Greater Arcane Essences
- 80 Lesser Arcane Essences
- 16 Siberys Dragonshard Fragments
- 1 +4 Enhancement Spirit
To make a Holy Shard you will need:
- The ability to make a level 37 Divine shard
- 15 Greater Good Essences
- 80 Lesser Good Essences
- 16 Siberys Dragonshard Fragments
- 3 Glittering Dusts
To make a Shard of Undead Bane you will need:
- The ability to make a level 45 Divine shard
- 10 Greater Good Essences
- 32 Lesser Good Essences
- 9 Siberys Dragonshard Fragments
- 1 Soul Gem: Undead
To make a Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship you will need:
- Two stacks of 25 essences, of any one type
- A Mark of House Cannith (available through House Cannith Favor or the DDO Store)
To make +6, +7, and +8 Shards of Potential you will need:
- 25 essences, any one type
- 50 essences, any one type
- 100 essences, any one type
A note about Soul Gems: Soul Gems are special material components used for some crafting recipes (particularly Bane-type recipes.) To get a Soul Gem, you will need to use Trap the Soul on a particular monster with a Hit Dice range that falls within the range of the Soul Gem you want to make. You can also purchase a Soul Gem on the Auction House. For Cannith Crafting, you’ll want to use Trap the Soul on creatures with a CR of 11-20.
Trap the Soul is a level 8 Wizard/Sorcerer spell, and can also be found on certain Greensteel crafted weapons. The spell requires a special material component made by placing Khyber Dragonshard Fragments into the Stone of Change, or by acquiring the proper Khyber Dragonshard through questing.
To make the +4 Holy Silver Greatsword of Undead Bane:
- Prepare a Silver Greatsword for crafting by combining it with a Dust of Disjunction in the Item Deconstruction Device.
- Create a +4 Enhancement Spirit by combining an item with a +4 Enhancement Bonus with a Liquid Knife Potion in the Item Deconstruction Device.
- Using the Shard Creation Device for Bound Shards, create +6, +7, and +8 Shards of Potential by combining enough essences of any one type to make the shards (25 for the +6, 50 for the +7, 100 for the +8.)
- Create a Shard of Masterful Craftmanship by combing a Mark of House Cannith with two stacks of 25 essences each, of any one type.
- Create a Holy Shard by combining 15 Greater Good Essences, 80 Lesser Good Essences, 16 Siberys Dragonshard Fragments, and 3 Glittering Dusts.
- Create a Shard of Undead Bane by combining 10 Greater Good Essences, 32 Lesser Good Essences, 9 Siberys Dragonshard Fragments, and 1 Soul Gem: Undead.
- Using the Item Creation Device for Bound Items, combine the craftable Silver Greatsword with the +6 Shard of Potential. Then add the +7 and +8 Shards of Potential.
- Combine the craftable Silver Greatsword with the Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship. Then add the +4 Enhancement Bonus Shard. Then add the Holy Shard. Finally, add the Shard of Undead Bane.
That’s it! You can choose not to add the Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship, but that will increase the minimum level of the item to 15. This weapon will work great against many undead, although it is lacking Ghost Touch, so incorporeal undead like wraiths may take a little longer to kill.
I hope you enjoyed this installment of “Crafting with…Courtney!” If you would like to see a recipe card for Silent Night, click here! Don’t forget to click here as well to check out our entire Crafting Cookbookin the DDO Compendium!